INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Message
Author
User avatar
animist
Posts: 6358
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#621 Postby animist » May 17th, 2018, 9:15 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Nick wrote:
coffee wrote:ITALY: Leaked Five Star/Lega plan includes mechanism to exit Euro.

Euroscepticism is rising!


https://www.westmonster.com/five-star-l ... exit-euro/


https://twitter.com/WestmonsterUK/statu ... 2265366528


The on-line odds of Italy leaving the EU have shortened....
the plans by this party seem to be to leave the euro, not the EU - which it wants reformed

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6358
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#622 Postby animist » May 17th, 2018, 9:31 am

Nick wrote:1) That the UK is a trading nation, and has been for centuries and would be very keen to enter such trade deals. Other countries have already expressed an interest, wishing to expand their economies too. Any why wouldn't they want to? Where is your evidence that they won't want to? (Touche!)
oh NIck, what a silly comment! Did you read the article which I attached? Your response is that I cannot prove that no countries are keen on a quick trade deal with Britain. Don't you realise that the onus is on you Brexiters to justify your optimistic claims? Just as the onus is always on the side which claims that something exists. Look at it this way. Next time that you challenge a religious nut for any evidence for God's existence and s/he retorts "Well, you can't DISPROVE God" are you going to take this as a reasonable response? Of course not.

Nick wrote:And to some extent, we can undertake some "trade deals" unilaterally- by cutting tariffs and removing unnecessary restrictions.
omigod you really are draining the barrel. A deal with only one side, right, makes perfect sense

Nick wrote:Ahem! Being in "a " customs union is not "a silly Tory idea" (though there are some of those!) it is Labour's only idea! Which as you agree, has already been ruled out by the EU. What then is their alternative? They don't have one!
I did not say that the EU had ruled out Labour's idea for a customs union which replicates the one we have. Maybe they have, but I am not aware of it

Nick wrote:And I am somewhat amused that you think that the EU has any goodwill at all! Indeed you seemed rather proud of the fact that it didn't, reasoning it didn't need to, as it was the UK that was leaving the EU, not the other way round. As you seem to be in the mood for evidence, Can you share any to support your new supposition that the EU will be showing any goodwill to the UK any time soon? "Now" would be nice, but, you know, they'd rather made sarcastic references to ticking clocks.
I do not know whether the EU does have much goodwill now, if it ever did. As for the ticking clock, that is a fact which Britain has created

Nick wrote:Turkey was a candidate country (not sure it is now!) so maybe some enticement was deemed pragmatic. The deal Turkey has got is extremely limited, so not exactly a shining beacon of hope! And maybe even that was only because the EU wanted something from Turkey over the refugee crisis.
I do not mean that any deal over a customs union would be the same as Turkey's, since the two countries and situations are entirely different. I merely point out that it is probably possible to work something out.

User avatar
coffee
Posts: 982
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#623 Postby coffee » May 17th, 2018, 10:47 am

May 17, 2018
Britain will tell EU it is prepared to stay tied to customs union beyond 2021: Brexit News for Thursday 17 May

https://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit- ... ay-17-may/

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22958
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#624 Postby Alan H » May 17th, 2018, 11:32 am

coffee wrote:May 17, 2018
Britain will tell EU it is prepared to stay tied to customs union beyond 2021: Brexit News for Thursday 17 May

https://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit- ... ay-17-may/

But...but... they PROMISED!!!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6358
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#625 Postby animist » May 17th, 2018, 11:33 am

coffee wrote:May 17, 2018
Britain will tell EU it is prepared to stay tied to customs union beyond 2021: Brexit News for Thursday 17 May

https://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit- ... ay-17-may/
so now even May accepts soft Brexit - so amusing, so predictable

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22958
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#626 Postby Alan H » May 17th, 2018, 11:44 am

Britain to stay in customs union until moon colony up and running
THE UK will remain in a customs union with the EU for the short period of time it takes to get a fully-functioning moon base established.

With the government totally unable to decide how to proceed with Brexit, building a vast, self-sufficient colony on the moon is seen as the most realistic way forward.

Foreign secretary Boris Johnson said: “Finally we’ve got a firm deadline for departing the EU and beginning our trade deals with other nations, and indeed planets.

“Moonbase Churchill, which will proudly fly the Union Jack and house millions of our citizens, should be up and running by 2025 at the latest. I mean, we’re British.

“Once we’re getting all our resources – medicines, radioactive material, moon-milk – from our self-supporting colony we can cut all ties with Europe and frankly forget they even exist.

“We won’t need a hard border in Northern Ireland either, because we’ll be able to keep our eyes on every inch of it. From the moon.”

EU lead negotiator Michel Barnier said: “Excuse me while I bang my head repeatedly on this table, again.”
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 11025
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 10:10 am

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#627 Postby Nick » May 17th, 2018, 12:28 pm

animist wrote:
Nick wrote:
The on-line odds of Italy leaving the EU have shortened....
the plans by this party seem to be to leave the euro, not the EU - which it wants reformed


My post is still true. The on-line odds of Italy leaving the Euro have shortened too. Though it seems that they have back-tracked on plans to leave the EU, the incompatibility of their policies with those of the EU may force someones hand.

Quite what will happen in (or to) Italy is anyone's guess. Not least because they are still under discussion between the two parties most likely to form a coalition. We are seeing a re-run of Grexit, here, though coming from the (illiberal) far right.

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 11025
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 10:10 am

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#628 Postby Nick » May 17th, 2018, 12:53 pm

animist wrote:
Nick wrote:1) That the UK is a trading nation, and has been for centuries and would be very keen to enter such trade deals. Other countries have already expressed an interest, wishing to expand their economies too. Any why wouldn't they want to? Where is your evidence that they won't want to? (Touche!)
oh NIck, what a silly comment! Did you read the article which I attached? Your response is that I cannot prove that no countries are keen on a quick trade deal with Britain. Don't you realise that the onus is on you Brexiters to justify your optimistic claims? Just as the onus is always on the side which claims that something exists.
Not really, animist. Leaving aside the word "optimistic", I think there is plenty of evidence that other countries will enter into new trade agreements. You, ISTM, are making a counter-claim, that there will be a departure from the expected. Hence my interest in how you've arrived at that conclusion.

Look at it this way. Next time that you challenge a religious nut for any evidence for God's existence and s/he retorts "Well, you can't DISPROVE God" are you going to take this as a reasonable response? Of course not.
An analogy? :shock: You expect me to allow you an analogy unchallenged? :laughter: I don't think it applies, for the reasons above. But I'd rather argue the toss over likely outcomes, rather than debating techniques. :)

Nick wrote:And to some extent, we can undertake some "trade deals" unilaterally- by cutting tariffs and removing unnecessary restrictions.
omigod you really are draining the barrel. A deal with only one side, right, makes perfect sense
And why not? If it benefits the UK, why not? We have no need to charge tariffs to defend an industry in which the UK does not participate, for example, nor need we apply restrictions (eg on GM, perhaps) which we don't believe in. So yes, it can make perfect sense.

Nick wrote:Ahem! Being in "a " customs union is not "a silly Tory idea" (though there are some of those!) it is Labour's only idea! Which as you agree, has already been ruled out by the EU. What then is their alternative? They don't have one!
I did not say that the EU had ruled out Labour's idea for a customs union which replicates the one we have. Maybe they have, but I am not aware of it
So you accept that "a" customs union was a Labour plan, not a Tory one...? I'm happy to accept, if you say so, that you haven't said that the EU had ruled it out, nor are you aware of it. I'll say it for you, thus making you aware. :) And their (ie Labour's) alternative is what...?

Nick wrote:And I am somewhat amused that you think that the EU has any goodwill at all! Indeed you seemed rather proud of the fact that it didn't, reasoning it didn't need to, as it was the UK that was leaving the EU, not the other way round. As you seem to be in the mood for evidence, Can you share any to support your new supposition that the EU will be showing any goodwill to the UK any time soon? "Now" would be nice, but, you know, they'd rather made sarcastic references to ticking clocks.
I do not know whether the EU does have much goodwill now, if it ever did. As for the ticking clock, that is a fact which Britain has created
It arose out of the Treaty. The UK would like to ditch it. The EU would not. But at least we seem to be in agreement that goodwill from the EU is in short supply.

Nick wrote:Turkey was a candidate country (not sure it is now!) so maybe some enticement was deemed pragmatic. The deal Turkey has got is extremely limited, so not exactly a shining beacon of hope! And maybe even that was only because the EU wanted something from Turkey over the refugee crisis.
I do not mean that any deal over a customs union would be the same as Turkey's, since the two countries and situations are entirely different. I merely point out that it is probably possible to work something out.

"Working something out" is indeed possible. In all sorts of areas, not least the Irish border. Could you let your EU friends know? :D Not least Mr Dunt! :wink:

User avatar
coffee
Posts: 982
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#629 Postby coffee » May 17th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Cabinet agrees Brexit customs 'backstop' option

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44148027

---------------

UK to remain tied to EU customs union until Irish border solved

Theresa May wins support of cabinet for new plan

https://www.ft.com/content/17fbad8c-59d ... ceb45fa9d0

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22958
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#630 Postby Alan H » May 17th, 2018, 6:01 pm

coffee wrote:UK to remain tied to EU customs union until Irish border solved

Theresa May wins support of cabinet for new plan

https://www.ft.com/content/17fbad8c-59d ... ceb45fa9d0

Industrial quantities of :popcorn: required...
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

User avatar
coffee
Posts: 982
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#631 Postby coffee » May 17th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Theresa May and Leo Varadkar meet in Sofia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44150934

User avatar
coffee
Posts: 982
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#632 Postby coffee » May 17th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Some fresh sense being talked by Irish officials about the Northern Ireland border issue. No need for new infrastructure at the border in order to have a customs frontier.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... -1.3085399

User avatar
coffee
Posts: 982
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#633 Postby coffee » May 17th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Report: 4 million Brits 'underemployed' due to influx of migrant labour


https://www.westmonster.com/report-4-mi ... nt-labour/

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6358
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#634 Postby animist » May 17th, 2018, 8:59 pm

Nick wrote:Not really, animist. Leaving aside the word "optimistic", I think there is plenty of evidence that other countries will enter into new trade agreements. You, ISTM, are making a counter-claim, that there will be a departure from the expected. Hence my interest in how you've arrived at that conclusion.
so, yet again, what is this evidence? I have to say that my patience with you is coming to an end

Nick wrote:
Look at it this way. Next time that you challenge a religious nut for any evidence for God's existence and s/he retorts "Well, you can't DISPROVE God" are you going to take this as a reasonable response? Of course not.
An analogy? :shock: You expect me to allow you an analogy unchallenged? :laughter: I don't think it applies, for the reasons above. But I'd rather argue the toss over likely outcomes, rather than debating techniques. :)
another stupid comment - what reasons above? The rest of your drivel - I am not replying to it. Get a life, Nick. Unless you drastically change your approach I am following Alan in ignoring you, and I am sad about this - I thought that you were a sensible online friend, but you are devious, xenophobic, obsessed, dogmatic and trivial. You avoid difficult questions in favour of tricksy facetious comments, usually irrelevant. You cannot even acknowledge that there is an obligation on the part of people who believe in some entity, be it God or countries queuing up to trade with Britain, to justify this belief. I have had it with you

User avatar
coffee
Posts: 982
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#635 Postby coffee » May 18th, 2018, 11:42 am

May denies customs union climbdown as DUP says better for her to walk away than show weakness: Brexit News for Friday 18 May

https://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit- ... ay-18-may/

User avatar
coffee
Posts: 982
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#636 Postby coffee » May 18th, 2018, 5:53 pm

BOOM: FTSE 100 hits new record high.

Cheer up Remoaners!

FTSE 100 hits new record high, defying doom-mongers

by Westmonster

https://www.westmonster.com/ftse-100-hi ... m-mongers/

-----------------

Migrants can illegally buy EU passports 'within hours', BBC find

https://www.westmonster.com/migrants-ca ... -bbc-find/

https://twitter.com/WestmonsterUK/statu ... 4593985537

------------------

DUP's Wilson: May should stand up to Brussels

https://www.westmonster.com/dups-wilson ... -brussels/

--------------------

This journalist was able to illegally obtain a German travel document (permitting movement all around Schengen) within hours. An absolute scandal - EU borders are a porous mess but Brussels does nothing!

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/sta ... 8800691202

-----------------------


RISING: Italy's anti-mass migration Lega surge to 25% in new poll.

Opposition to the open border European Union continues to grow.

https://twitter.com/WestmonsterUK/statu ... 0088656896

https://www.westmonster.com/italys-anti ... -new-poll/

--------------------------



EU passports and IDs being flogged by the dozen in Turkey, can be bought within hours.

Open borders are downright dangerous. Brexit Britain must take back control - and fast.

https://twitter.com/Michael_Heaver/stat ... 9219813376

---------------------

FRANCE: Terror cops thwart a 'poison gas attack', 2 Egyptian brothers arrested.

In the last 3 years more than 240 people have been killed in France as a result of Islamist terror.

https://twitter.com/WestmonsterUK/statu ... 8250451969

User avatar
coffee
Posts: 982
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#637 Postby coffee » May 18th, 2018, 8:10 pm

BREXIT BLACKHOLE: EU warning Europe's regions face CHAOS from UK exit

THE European Union’s influential Committee of the Regions has issued a stark warning ahead of the UK’s exit, demanding Brussels do not ignore Europe’s regions after Brexit.

By JOE BARNES, BRUSSELS CORRESPONDENT

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/96180 ... -departure

User avatar
coffee
Posts: 982
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#638 Postby coffee » May 19th, 2018, 10:13 am

May appoints new peers after Brexit defeats: Brexit News for Saturday 19 May

https://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit- ... ay-19-may/

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6358
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#639 Postby animist » May 19th, 2018, 11:53 am

coffee wrote:Migrants can illegally buy EU passports 'within hours', BBC find

https://www.westmonster.com/migrants-ca ... -bbc-find/

https://twitter.com/WestmonsterUK/statu ... 4593985537
point 1 - Britain is not in the Schengen area, so we do not have free travel arrangements with other EU countries. Point 2 - I dare say that forged UK passports are also available in Turkey etc if someone really wants one. Fortress Britain is never going to be the Rock of Ages :laughter:

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6358
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#640 Postby animist » May 19th, 2018, 11:59 am

coffee wrote:May appoints new peers after Brexit defeats: Brexit News for Saturday 19 May

https://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit- ... ay-19-may/
bit of a non-story for Brexiteers? It has always been possible for premiers and presidents to swamp the alternative power centres, like the Lords in Britain or the Supreme Court in the US, with nominees in order to get over awkward questions when the separation of powers (much weaker over Brit here than Yank there, but there (ie here!) nevertheless) gets in the way of what the elected government thinks it wants to do.

User avatar
coffee
Posts: 982
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Re: Brexit News For Brexiteers, please see the link

#641 Postby coffee » May 19th, 2018, 12:24 pm

animist wrote:
coffee wrote:Migrants can illegally buy EU passports 'within hours', BBC find

https://www.westmonster.com/migrants-ca ... -bbc-find/

https://twitter.com/WestmonsterUK/statu ... 4593985537
point 1 - Britain is not in the Schengen area, so we do not have free travel arrangements with other EU countries. Point 2 - I dare say that forged UK passports are also available in Turkey etc if someone really wants one. Fortress Britain is never going to be the Rock of Ages :laughter:


Once they in the eu, they can go on to the uk.


Return to “Miscellaneous Discussions...”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest