INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Message
Author
Compassionist
Posts: 3224
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#1 Postby Compassionist » April 4th, 2015, 6:52 pm

Are there Humanist missionaries?

User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 17809
Joined: May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#2 Postby Dave B » April 4th, 2015, 8:55 pm

I don't think that "humanist missionaries," in the same form as religious ditto, really fit in with the humanist ideal.

The function of the classical missionary is to capture (by offering a service such as medicine or education) an audience and then convert them to your way of thinking. That's a kind of bribery and less than ethical.

Humanism, in my understanding, offers free choice, free thought. If it is not for "you" then that is the end of it. By all means advertise and offer the values of Humanism but if the individual does not want to accept that is up to them.

Street preachers have a kind of advantage above passive postering, but I do wonder how many converts they get! I would not like to see humabists shouting their beliefs in public - but I would like to see more chances to let people know the true values of Humanism.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist
Posts: 3224
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#3 Postby Compassionist » April 7th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Dave B wrote:I don't think that "humanist missionaries," in the same form as religious ditto, really fit in with the humanist ideal.

The function of the classical missionary is to capture (by offering a service such as medicine or education) an audience and then convert them to your way of thinking. That's a kind of bribery and less than ethical.

Humanism, in my understanding, offers free choice, free thought. If it is not for "you" then that is the end of it. By all means advertise and offer the values of Humanism but if the individual does not want to accept that is up to them.

Street preachers have a kind of advantage above passive postering, but I do wonder how many converts they get! I would not like to see humabists shouting their beliefs in public - but I would like to see more chances to let people know the true values of Humanism.

During the Bengal Famine between 1769 and 1773 ten million Bengalies died (33% of the current population). During that famine, Christian Missionaries offered food to the starving as long as the starving first converted to Christianity. Christian Missionaries have used this approach in other parts of the world during times of crisis to gain converts. No wonder Christianity is the most populous religion on Earth.

I don't know how effective street preachers are. I don't think there is any stats available on this. Humanism lacks the carrot of eternal heaven and the stick of eternal hell. Also, humanists don't coerce desperate people to convert to humanism. It is unlikely that we will see billions of people becoming humanists in a hurry.

User avatar
Fia
Posts: 5480
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#4 Postby Fia » April 7th, 2015, 11:30 pm

If the effort spent coercing needy folk to any religion was spent in wholly attending to human needs our planet would be in a much better place now. Care should be unconditional and solely focussed on the human need.

Many Humanists, and folk with religion, work with wonderful organisations such as the Red Cross and MSF. To my mind there is no place for proselytising in care for our fellow humans.

User avatar
Altfish
Posts: 1821
Joined: March 26th, 2012, 8:46 am

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#5 Postby Altfish » April 8th, 2015, 6:32 am

+1

Compassionist
Posts: 3224
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#6 Postby Compassionist » April 8th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Fia wrote:If the effort spent coercing needy folk to any religion was spent in wholly attending to human needs our planet would be in a much better place now. Care should be unconditional and solely focussed on the human need.

Many Humanists, and folk with religion, work with wonderful organisations such as the Red Cross and MSF. To my mind there is no place for proselytising in care for our fellow humans.

I agree. Well said.

User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 17809
Joined: May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#7 Postby Dave B » April 8th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Me also.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Ron Webb
Posts: 289
Joined: May 9th, 2009, 11:21 pm

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#8 Postby Ron Webb » April 9th, 2015, 12:40 am

I agree that we don't need humanists knocking on doors or haranguing us on street corners; but I applaud less obnoxious messages such as the Freedom From Religion Foundations' billboard campaign. I think we could use more of that.

User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 17809
Joined: May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#9 Postby Dave B » April 9th, 2015, 9:22 am

Godd stuff, them posters, Ron.

Thanks.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Ron Webb
Posts: 289
Joined: May 9th, 2009, 11:21 pm

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#10 Postby Ron Webb » April 9th, 2015, 2:45 pm

Dave B wrote:Godd stuff, them posters, Ron.Thanks.

I can't decide if that was just a typo or if you're being clever, but either way -- :laughter:

User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 17809
Joined: May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#11 Postby Dave B » April 9th, 2015, 8:55 pm

Ron Webb wrote:
Dave B wrote:Godd stuff, them posters, Ron.Thanks.

I can't decide if that was just a typo or if you're being clever, but either way -- :laughter:
Since I am working on my tablet it could be a typo - I miss keys with the dibber (typing g for h in "the" seems to be my fave).

But I have benn known to "stuuter" where double leteers are concerned.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist
Posts: 3224
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#12 Postby Compassionist » April 13th, 2015, 10:01 am

Ron Webb wrote:I agree that we don't need humanists knocking on doors or haranguing us on street corners; but I applaud less obnoxious messages such as the Freedom From Religion Foundations' billboard campaign. I think we could use more of that.

I agree. They don't have any such billboards here in Northern Ireland.

User avatar
stevenw888
Posts: 693
Joined: July 16th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#13 Postby stevenw888 » April 13th, 2015, 2:56 pm

Why do you think that is Compassionist? Do you think that Northern Ireland is more religious than the rest of the UK, or maybe less tolerant of 'no religion'?
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 17809
Joined: May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#14 Postby Dave B » April 13th, 2015, 4:41 pm

stevenw888 wrote:Why do you think that is Compassionist? Do you think that Northern Ireland is more religious than the rest of the UK, or maybe less tolerant of 'no religion'?

No comment about their religiosity but I go for an overload of bigotry compared to the rest of the population!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist
Posts: 3224
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Are there Humanist Missionaries? Should there be?

#15 Postby Compassionist » April 16th, 2015, 11:38 am

Dave B wrote:
stevenw888 wrote:Why do you think that is Compassionist? Do you think that Northern Ireland is more religious than the rest of the UK, or maybe less tolerant of 'no religion'?

No comment about their religiosity but I go for an overload of bigotry compared to the rest of the population!

Most people here are Christian of one brand or another.


Return to “Humanism, secularism, freethought...”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest