INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Good video links

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Message
Author
User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 17809
Joined: May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Re: Good video links

#201 Postby Dave B » July 13th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

And, as usual, you speak only in pseudo-cryptic phrases of your own devising.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

User avatar
Kismet
Posts: 171
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 2:29 am

Re: Good video links

#202 Postby Kismet » July 13th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Dave B wrote:And, as usual, you speak only in pseudo-cryptic phrases of your own devising.


No, I think Jed Mckenna's outlook is very consistent with my saying. Beliefs are an impediment to truth, because they are in the form of a projection. = no clear seeing, no truth of BEING as-it-is.

User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 17809
Joined: May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Re: Good video links

#203 Postby Dave B » July 13th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Well, I think that I am just happy being the pragmatist that I am. Rather than spout on about my "being", or even "Being" I would far rather get on with the "doing", those acts which - I hope - go a little towards making this world just a minute bit better. I will settle for the experiential - the observable and the tangible.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

User avatar
Sel
Posts: 811
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 3:53 pm

Re: Good video links

#204 Postby Sel » July 13th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Dave B wrote:Well, I think that I am just happy being the pragmatist that I am. Rather than spout on about my "being", or even "Being" I would far rather get on with the "doing", those acts which - I hope - go a little towards making this world just a minute bit better. I will settle for the experiential - the observable and the tangible.


Thanks Dave...you've got it! This old brain is so befuddled after listening to all that mumbo jumbo that thinking clearly was momentarily beyond me. :pointlaugh:
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

User avatar
Kismet
Posts: 171
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 2:29 am

Re: Good video links

#205 Postby Kismet » July 13th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Sel wrote:
Dave B wrote:Well, I think that I am just happy being the pragmatist that I am. Rather than spout on about my "being", or even "Being" I would far rather get on with the "doing", those acts which - I hope - go a little towards making this world just a minute bit better. I will settle for the experiential - the observable and the tangible.


Thanks Dave...you've got it! This old brain is so befuddled after listening to all that mumbo jumbo that thinking clearly was momentarily beyond me. :pointlaugh:


Clear thinking avoids reality.

User avatar
Sel
Posts: 811
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 3:53 pm

Re: Good video links

#206 Postby Sel » July 14th, 2012, 12:09 am

Kismet wrote:
Sel wrote:
Dave B wrote:Well, I think that I am just happy being the pragmatist that I am. Rather than spout on about my "being", or even "Being" I would far rather get on with the "doing", those acts which - I hope - go a little towards making this world just a minute bit better. I will settle for the experiential - the observable and the tangible.


Thanks Dave...you've got it! This old brain is so befuddled after listening to all that mumbo jumbo that thinking clearly was momentarily beyond me. :pointlaugh:


Clear thinking avoids reality.


You are joking, right?
Kismet, you are beginning to sound like a Texas Republican. Their current platform states they are opposed to the teaching of higher order thinking skills and critical thinking in public schools.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

User avatar
Kismet
Posts: 171
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 2:29 am

Re: Good video links

#207 Postby Kismet » July 14th, 2012, 4:08 am

Sel wrote:You are joking, right?
Kismet, you are beginning to sound like a Texas Republican. Their current platform states they are opposed to the teaching of higher order thinking skills and critical thinking in public schools.


I can only speak from experience... It seems to me, that when it comes to philosophy (and not practical, merely mundane matters) clear thinking is itself an impediment to thought. Intuition must triumph in the end, not reason. And intuition by its very nature is messier and unclear, unless it happens to come about at just the opportune moment.

User avatar
Altfish
Posts: 1821
Joined: March 26th, 2012, 8:46 am

Re: Good video links

#208 Postby Altfish » July 14th, 2012, 7:32 am

Kismet wrote:It seems to me, that when it comes to philosophy (and not practical, merely mundane matters) clear thinking is itself an impediment to thought. Intuition must triumph in the end, not reason.


If that is what you think, that explains alot. Wow :exit:

User avatar
Gottard
Posts: 1306
Joined: October 3rd, 2008, 3:11 pm

Re: Good video links

#209 Postby Gottard » July 14th, 2012, 7:39 am

Kismet wrote:I can only speak from experience... It seems to me, that when it comes to philosophy (and not practical, merely mundane matters) clear thinking is itself an impediment to thought. Intuition must triumph in the end, not reason. And intuition by its very nature is messier and unclear, unless it happens to come about at just the opportune moment.

Kisamet: personally, I compare my experience with other people's experiences - people of different cultures - just to understand where I am with my thoughts or beliefs. It is a sign of modesty!
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Re: Good video links

#210 Postby Alan C. » August 9th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Dawkins, Grayling, Minchin, Copson, Toynbee, Hasan, Pullman, Margolis.
An introduction to Humanism. Six minutes long.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3190
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Good video links

#211 Postby Tetenterre » August 9th, 2012, 4:57 pm

"Science is the Poetry of Reality" -- I must remember that one! Thanks, Alan.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
Fia
Posts: 5480
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Re: Good video links

#212 Postby Fia » August 10th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Great link Alan. 'The good and flourishing life'. As someone who usually answers the question 'how are you?' with 'flourishing, thank you, and you?' I love it :)

User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 17809
Joined: May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Re: Good video links

#213 Postby Dave B » August 10th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Kismet wrote: Intuition must triumph in the end, not reason. And intuition by its very nature is messier and unclear, unless it happens to come about at just the opportune moment.
So, this messy and obscure stuff is superior to clear thinking? I agree that hunches and intuition have their part to play, but in my experience later analysis has shown that that "leap" in thinking actually does have a basis in logic. Just because one is not aware of consciously thinking out the in-between bits does not mean they do not exist.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

User avatar
Woody68
Posts: 25
Joined: April 4th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Re: Good video links

#214 Postby Woody68 » May 6th, 2013, 3:37 pm

In this brief exert from a interview Richard critiques the Muslim journalist on his belief in flying horses and the splitting of the moon by the prophet…

When asked about creationism - the journalist blatantly lies in order to save face! The Qu'Ran pretty much mirrors the bibles version of genesis in many ways but the Muslim journalist (an apparently well regarded one) lies:)

I'm truing to find the full interview to see if Richard picks him up on this lie but from his response he may not have…

Excellent viewing though!!


User avatar
Gottard
Posts: 1306
Joined: October 3rd, 2008, 3:11 pm

Re: Good video links

#215 Postby Gottard » May 6th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Woody68 wrote:In this brief exert from a interview Richard critiques the Muslim journalist on his belief in flying horses and the splitting of the moon by the prophet…

Great! Thank you for that.
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 17809
Joined: May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Re: Good video links

#216 Postby Dave B » May 6th, 2013, 7:34 pm

And, right at the end, a short and succinct quotation.

"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22253
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: Good video links

#217 Postby Alan H » December 18th, 2014, 12:20 am

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 17809
Joined: May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Re: Good video links

#218 Postby Dave B » December 18th, 2014, 9:17 am

Seems familiar, but even is this is a second posting it is still a good one!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

User avatar
Gottard
Posts: 1306
Joined: October 3rd, 2008, 3:11 pm

Re: Good video links

#219 Postby Gottard » December 18th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Always worthwhile recalling :wink:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22253
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: Good video links

#220 Postby Alan H » January 11th, 2015, 5:15 pm

BBC's The Big Question this morning:

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

User avatar
Dave B
Posts: 17809
Joined: May 17th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Re: Good video links

#221 Postby Dave B » January 11th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Excellent, demonstrated well that the one thing that is worse than an utter fool is an utterly sincere fool! The religionistas made a mockery of themselves, but do not have the insight to understand why.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015


Return to “Humanism, secularism, freethought...”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest