INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

The Speakeasy

General socialising and light-hearted discussions take place in here.
Message
Author
User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22250
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#41 Postby Alan H » September 28th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Not a proper canal boat then... :-)

But I see you popped into a brewery.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Lord Muck oGentry
Posts: 622
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 3:48 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#42 Postby Lord Muck oGentry » September 28th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Alan H wrote:Not a proper canal boat then... :-)

But I see you popped into a brewery.


Well, narrowboats have their charm. You'll see some on upper Lough Erne and on the Shannon where it joins the Royal Canal or the Grand Canal. They are not suitable, however, for the larger lochs ( Ree, Derg, lower Erne), so you miss a bit if you're on a narrowboat.

http://www.iwai.ie/maps/shannon-erne/index.html




The brewery shots you spotted are from Dublin, where we spent a couple of nights.
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22250
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#43 Postby Alan H » September 28th, 2015, 4:11 pm

I can imagine... Spent some time on narrow boats as a teenager (and my parents liven on one for six years when they retired) - crossing open water (ie anything much wider than a canal) is erm, fun...
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 10848
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 10:10 am

Re: The Speakeasy

#44 Postby Nick » October 6th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Try crossing the channel on one! It's been done!

thundril
Posts: 3607
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#45 Postby thundril » October 8th, 2015, 4:51 am

I see the world hasn't ended, folks. Bit early, but can I have champagne on cornflakes, please?

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22250
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#46 Postby Alan H » October 8th, 2015, 10:54 am

Help yourself... but how do you know the world hasn't ended?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

thundril
Posts: 3607
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#47 Postby thundril » October 8th, 2015, 5:27 pm

Because if it had, I wouldn't be able to see my socks, would I?

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6019
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#48 Postby animist » October 8th, 2015, 5:41 pm

not really interested in what is top tipple, as I like to mix my own. Just wondering if "Speakeasy" has some origin in the fact that booze makes one "speak easy", in my case too easy, or is there another origin of the word

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22250
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#49 Postby Alan H » October 8th, 2015, 6:03 pm

thundril wrote:Because if it had, I wouldn't be able to see my socks, would I?
:laughter:

Is that because they'd be on fire?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22250
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#50 Postby Alan H » October 8th, 2015, 6:06 pm

animist wrote:not really interested in what is top tipple, as I like to mix my own. Just wondering if "Speakeasy" has some origin in the fact that booze makes one "speak easy", in my case too easy, or is there another origin of the word

Etymology
According to an 1889 newspaper, "Unlicensed saloons in Pennsylvania are known as 'speak-easies'."[2] They were "so called because of the practice of speaking quietly about such a place in public, or when inside it, so as not to alert the police or neighbors."[3] The term is reported to have originated with saloon owner Kate Hester, who ran an unlicensed bar in the 1880s in the Pittsburgh area town of McKeesport, Pennsylvania.[4][5] Although the phrase may have first come to prominence in the United States because of raids on unlicensed saloons in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area, the phrase "speak easy shop," denoting a place where unlicensed liquor sales were made, appeared in a British naval memoir written in 1844.[6] The phrase, "speak softly shop," meaning a "smuggler's house," appeared in a British slang dictionary published in 1823.[6] Many years later, in Prohibition-era America, the "speakeasy" became a common name to describe a place to get a drink.[7]
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

thundril
Posts: 3607
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#51 Postby thundril » October 9th, 2015, 2:27 pm

Alan H wrote:
thundril wrote:Because if it had, I wouldn't be able to see my socks, would I?
:laughter:

Is that because they'd be on fire?

Exactly! Some swivel-eyed religious cracker in Guess-where-land said last week that the world was going to end on Wednesday. It's Friday now, innit? Even in darkest USofA. And not so much as a sock incinerated. Has God bottled it again?

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6019
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#52 Postby animist » October 9th, 2015, 8:17 pm

thundril wrote:
Alan H wrote:
thundril wrote:Because if it had, I wouldn't be able to see my socks, would I?
:laughter:

Is that because they'd be on fire?

Exactly! Some swivel-eyed religious cracker in Guess-where-land said last week that the world was going to end on Wednesday. It's Friday now, innit? Even in darkest USofA. And not so much as a sock incinerated. Has God bottled it again?
I think you may be referring to some lot who were parading down Piccadilly about the same time as I and my bro-in-law, who had joined the refugees support march on September 12. We got a bit confused about what was happening on the march, and we also got hungry, resulting in a dive into the Hard Rock Cafe. When we came out we saw some banners and thought: great, we are still on the march. But in fact it was around 20 end-of-the-worlders, who actually did not seem that keen to divulge their secret knowledge. "Could well be, check it out" was the helpful response I got when enquiring from one of them whether they indeed expected the world to end on October 7. That bloke was indeed not a religious fanatic

Lord Muck oGentry
Posts: 622
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 3:48 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#53 Postby Lord Muck oGentry » October 9th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Ardbeg, please.
Keep the cork.

* drapes self languidly on couch and settles down to some serious loafin' *

...

* sniff, sniff *

Is this whisky very peaty, or are someone's socks on fire?
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6019
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#54 Postby animist » October 9th, 2015, 8:34 pm

Alan H wrote:
animist wrote:not really interested in what is top tipple, as I like to mix my own. Just wondering if "Speakeasy" has some origin in the fact that booze makes one "speak easy", in my case too easy, or is there another origin of the word

Etymology
According to an 1889 newspaper, "Unlicensed saloons in Pennsylvania are known as 'speak-easies'."[2] They were "so called because of the practice of speaking quietly about such a place in public, or when inside it, so as not to alert the police or neighbors."[3] The term is reported to have originated with saloon owner Kate Hester, who ran an unlicensed bar in the 1880s in the Pittsburgh area town of McKeesport, Pennsylvania.[4][5] Although the phrase may have first come to prominence in the United States because of raids on unlicensed saloons in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area, the phrase "speak easy shop," denoting a place where unlicensed liquor sales were made, appeared in a British naval memoir written in 1844.[6] The phrase, "speak softly shop," meaning a "smuggler's house," appeared in a British slang dictionary published in 1823.[6] Many years later, in Prohibition-era America, the "speakeasy" became a common name to describe a place to get a drink.[7]
right, so the desire to drink induced soft speech - quite opposite to the effect that the satisfied desire has on speech volume

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22250
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#55 Postby Alan H » October 9th, 2015, 8:41 pm

:pointlaugh:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

thundril
Posts: 3607
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#56 Postby thundril » October 10th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Arrives hotfoot from somewhere or other. Unable to say where until second pint of Speckled Hen has permeated sufficiently southward.

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22250
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#57 Postby Alan H » October 10th, 2015, 6:18 pm

thundril wrote:Arrives hotfoot from somewhere or other. Unable to say where until second pint of Speckled Hen has permeated sufficiently southward.
<taps foot>
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3190
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: The Speakeasy

#58 Postby Tetenterre » October 11th, 2015, 2:12 pm

thundril wrote:I see the world hasn't ended, folks. Bit early, but can I have champagne on cornflakes, please?
Hey, Thunders, did you drop this?

RaptureCard.jpg
RaptureCard.jpg (64.66 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

thundril
Posts: 3607
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#59 Postby thundril » October 11th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Nah, mine's got eight crosses on it. Ninth one gets added today.

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3190
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: The Speakeasy

#60 Postby Tetenterre » October 12th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Ah, must be my 4th one, then. Wonder how that fell out. I must need a drink - any of that Ardbeg left, your lordship?

It's gone a tad quiet; anyone mind if I name-drop and ask Tim, an old school buddy from Rhodesia, to liven it up a bit?

Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

thundril
Posts: 3607
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Re: The Speakeasy

#61 Postby thundril » October 13th, 2015, 4:10 pm

[Thunderous applause!]
After thunderous applause dies down: I am sorely in need of at least one pint of Doombar please.
My brain is broken, having just read (six times) the following, from our local ecumenical churches' group, writing in the Wellington Town magazine.


"Thinking towards Christmas, we are planning a Knitted Sheep Nativity Project, so that the real meaning of Christmas can be better understood by our families and shoppers, who are invited to go in search of a knitted sheep in our local shops. But first we need a lot of knitted sheep; - patterns are available to our knitters chatting in clubs and groups!

Is it just me, or. . .WTF . . . What?
I'd better have another two pints of Doombar, in rapid succession.


Return to “Social Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests