INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Why did you choose your particular user name?

General socialising and light-hearted discussions take place in here.
Message
Author
Moonbeam
Posts: 617
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:44 pm

Why did you choose your particular user name?

#1 Postby Moonbeam » July 7th, 2007, 1:23 pm

My Dad's pet name for me is Sunbeam so when I first joined an internet forum had to think one up quickly, it seemed the obvious choice.

I now fancy a change but don't have much imagination.

:shrug:

User avatar
God
Banned
Posts: 841
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 12:23 pm

#2 Postby God » July 7th, 2007, 2:01 pm

I couldn't think of an appropriate suffix.

(Hey, this'll look silly when I change it!)

(Did I really write "Will look silly"? What a bozo)

Titanium Wheels
Posts: 143
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 8:20 am

#3 Postby Titanium Wheels » July 7th, 2007, 3:13 pm

Ok, well, 'wheels' what I am sitting on andan old 4 digiti number that came into my head. hence Wheels5894.

now how much fun can we have changing names from time to time and thus become harder to recognise. we could confuse Admin but probably get benned! I'll stick as I am I think.

Robert
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

#4 Postby Alan C. » July 7th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Er let me think..............................Ah yes, it's my name, but as there is another Alan (Henness) I added my surname initial C(rowe)
I have less imagination than moonbeam.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

User avatar
Phaedo
Posts: 55
Joined: July 5th, 2007, 3:54 pm

#5 Postby Phaedo » July 7th, 2007, 9:41 pm

Socrates' ideas are commonly regarded as a prime influence in the development of Humanism. Phaedo is the narrator in Plato's account of the death of Socrates and as such privy to the great man's last words and thoughts. What a position to be in and how pretentious of me to adopt it as my nom de plume.
True lovers of knowledge are temperate and brave...
Socrates

User avatar
verte
Posts: 153
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 9:23 pm

#6 Postby verte » July 8th, 2007, 12:11 am

verte is already my username at Gurdur's forum. I chose it again out of sheer laziness, and so Maria wouldn't wonder who the heck I was.

User avatar
Master Taran
Posts: 10
Joined: July 7th, 2007, 1:25 am

#7 Postby Master Taran » July 8th, 2007, 5:33 am

Mine is because of a lifestyle that most wouldn't understand.

User avatar
God
Banned
Posts: 841
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 12:23 pm

#8 Postby God » July 8th, 2007, 7:45 am

Master Taran wrote:Mine is because of a lifestyle that most wouldn't understand.


We are thinkers. Try us.

User avatar
Curtains
Posts: 88
Joined: July 8th, 2007, 3:51 pm

#9 Postby Curtains » July 8th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Alan C. wrote:I have less imagination than moonbeam.


When I joined the HSS Forum - my first Forum in the English language - I could see behind my pc a pair of closed curtains. This was the inspiration for my name.

I can claim less imagination than moonbeam but maybe a little more than Alan C?

My real name is Julio.

Noggin
Posts: 497
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 11:48 am

#10 Postby Noggin » July 8th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Curtains wrote:
When I joined the HSS Forum - my first Forum in the English language - I could see behind my pc a pair of closed curtains. This was the inspiration for my name.


:laughter:

I think that's one of the funniest explanations I've seen. It reminds of the tale in the Meryl Streep film Silkwood of the Native American baby who was called 'Two Dogs Shagging'...


My own name comes from my favourite childhood tales of Noggin the Nog.

Noggin
Posts: 497
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 11:48 am

#11 Postby Noggin » July 8th, 2007, 5:11 pm

Maria wrote:(I like people to think) it is my real name.

Survey:

If somebody signed up to this forum and used an ordinary sounding first name but which is not their real name and not even the same gender as they are, would your first thought be that they are:

1. Paranoid about personal privacy.

2. Up to no good.



I was torn between 1. and 2. but I decided to plump for 2. S/he could have used any nickname to merely maintain privacy but choosing an opposite sex name seems like a deliberate attempt to deceive the users of this forum.

User avatar
Moose
Posts: 716
Joined: July 8th, 2007, 12:55 pm

#12 Postby Moose » July 8th, 2007, 5:54 pm

I go by Moose or Moosey or IamMoose on most forums that I am on .. I can't remember why I started using it; been using it for years and years. The only problem is that most people presume I'm male which is weird cos hey, you get laydee Meese too right?!
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain
Time to die

EF

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

#13 Postby Alan C. » July 8th, 2007, 5:59 pm

Moose
The only problem is that most people presume I'm male

Being called Jo doesn't help either :wink:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

User avatar
Moose
Posts: 716
Joined: July 8th, 2007, 12:55 pm

#14 Postby Moose » July 8th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Yeah I know :(. In situations where I want to make sure people know my gender (which isn't often .. I don't care much) I will introduce myself online as Josephine.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Time to die



EF

User avatar
Master Taran
Posts: 10
Joined: July 7th, 2007, 1:25 am

#15 Postby Master Taran » July 8th, 2007, 6:12 pm

Master, because I'm a master electrician. Taran, Because I can be hell on 2 wheels. See the link for further explanation.
http://realmagick.com/articles/77/977.html

ranter
Posts: 133
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 9:20 pm

pseudonym

#16 Postby ranter » July 8th, 2007, 9:02 pm

No need to explain my choice.
I rant uncontrolably. 'Ranter Extraordinaire' may actually be more fitting .
IMHO there are not enough meaningful ranters out there. Let me know if you'd like to join a ranting club. Don't think there are any.
:wink:

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 22951
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: pseudonym

#17 Postby Alan H » July 8th, 2007, 9:13 pm

ranter wrote:No need to explain my choice.

Quite... :exit:

User avatar
Nick
Posts: 11025
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 10:10 am

#18 Postby Nick » July 9th, 2007, 10:15 am

About 25 years ago, I was having a pint, (no change there then) having played squash at my local squash club (in fact very local; it was next door but one) when someone to whom I was chatting asked "what did you say your name was?", to which I replied, " I didn't say it was anything. What do you think it should be?" She replied "Nick"

As I loathe the name I was given (which is quite ordinary, I just don't like it) I have clung to my new name ever since. It is a liberating experience, and one I would recommend to anyone who dislikes their given name. I have no trouble with my middle name (Andrew), nor my surname (Burton), just the first.

It does cause some mirth on occasion. Bank accounts, credit card, utility bills etc are all in the name of Nick. When flying Easyjet, as my travelling name was different to my passport name, I took the precaution of taking along my 'Statutary Declaration' to prove who I was. The first explanation went far better than I could have hoped for: they stuck a large orange tick on my boarding pass, to assure anyone who followed that the problem had been adjudicated satisfactorily. Unfortuantely, none of their other staff had seen one before, and hadn't a clue what the large orange tick meant :laughter: By the time I had explained, they had more or less forgoten about the name thing and waved me through!

User avatar
God
Banned
Posts: 841
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 12:23 pm

#19 Postby God » July 9th, 2007, 10:44 am

So yours is just a nickname then, is it, Nick?

Mine is too (in more ways than you imagine, I suspect!)

User avatar
God
Banned
Posts: 841
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 12:23 pm

#20 Postby God » July 9th, 2007, 10:50 am

Master Taran wrote:Master, because I'm a master electrician. Taran, Because I can be hell on 2 wheels. See the link for further explanation.
http://realmagick.com/articles/77/977.html


Earlier, Master Taran wrote:Mine is because of a lifestyle that most wouldn't understand.


In reply to which I stupidly wrote:We are thinkers. Try us.


Point taken!


Return to “Social Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests