INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Do you ever go to church?

General socialising and light-hearted discussions take place in here.

On what occasions are you prepared to set foot in a church? (Apart from as a tourist!)

Wouldn't set foot in one
16
10%
Would attend only for a ceremony (specify below)
70
43%
Would attend for a ceremony, memorial service or a carol service.
49
30%
Would attend a normal service.
29
18%
 
Total votes: 164

Message
Author
Zoe
Posts: 564
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 4:08 pm

Do you ever go to church?

#1 Postby Zoe » July 21st, 2007, 4:21 pm

I'm making the assumption that non-believers will only go to church to make someone else happy and not because they themselves get anything out of it, but I could be wrong.

I attend church for the usual weddings, baptisms and funerals but I also occasionally attend a normal mass to keep the peace. I don't cross myself because that seems to me to be hypocritical but I do light candles because...I like it. Don't ask me why! I've noticed there's a lot of anti religious feeling among members here and I'm wondering how far strongly you feel about keeping religion out of your lives.

If you do attend a service, do you go through all the motions and sing hymns?

User avatar
Lifelinking
Posts: 3248
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 11:56 am

#2 Postby Lifelinking » July 21st, 2007, 4:53 pm

I often find myself going in to places of worship. Most recently I was invited to see the opening if the new Hindu Mandir in Glasgow. Some very kind people explained to me the meanings of what was going on, and their kindness and hopitality was wonderful.

Some of the private conversations that day strayed into the territory of different beliefs and and philosophies, and we were able to find much more that united us in our humanity, than divided us in our different beliefs. I consider myself enriched by the experience.


L
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Bryn
Posts: 665
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:47 pm

#3 Postby Bryn » July 21st, 2007, 5:04 pm

I would attend a family wedding or funeral, not sure about a baptism. I did draw the line at agreeing to be a godparent!

I'll sing along if it's a nice hymn but don't get anything out of praying.

User avatar
Miisanthrope
Posts: 24
Joined: July 19th, 2007, 7:33 pm

#4 Postby Miisanthrope » July 21st, 2007, 5:07 pm

A lot of people seem to like going into churches for the quiet, a sort of spiritual (non-religious) serenity, and also because they like the buildings.

I don't much like the feel of most churches, the high ceilings and alcoves and such. But I would go if I was invited to a ceremony or memorial sevice. I find it hard to believe I would arrange anything there myself, or just go for carols and the mood, I just feel out of place and frequently bored.

I didn't know which of the two middle options to go for, they seemed pretty much the same?

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

#5 Postby Alan C. » July 21st, 2007, 5:55 pm

I think this question has been asked before (at the other place)
Nothing would get me into a church, I am so anti everything religious it's probably not healthy.
As all my family are Atheists, I am unlikely to be invited to any kind of church service that I couldn't turn down.
When a neighbor dies I don't go to the Kirk, which is two hundred yards down the road, but I do go to the Kirk-yard (right opposite the Kirk) and pay my respects there.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Zoe
Posts: 564
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 4:08 pm

#6 Postby Zoe » July 21st, 2007, 5:55 pm

Miisanthrope wrote:
I didn't know which of the two middle options to go for, they seemed pretty much the same?


Sorry if it's not clear. By ceremony I mean wedding, funeral or baptism. A memoral service or a carol service doesn't involve a ceremony - I think they are just normal church services with a bit added on. So I thought maybe there are some who wouldn't just go to a normal Sunday service but who might attend the memorial service of someone special who died and some who might say 'No, a memorial service wouldn't mean anything to me. I'll stay at home and remember X in my own way.' I also wondered if anyone might just go to a carole service at Christmas because they enjoy singing.

User avatar
gcb01
Posts: 564
Joined: July 8th, 2007, 1:50 pm

#7 Postby gcb01 » July 21st, 2007, 6:01 pm

Funerals and weddings are ok, christenings I try to avoid.
Regards

Campbell

Maria Mac
Site Admin
Posts: 8764
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:34 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#8 Postby Maria Mac » July 21st, 2007, 6:13 pm

Zoe wrote:
I attend church for the usual weddings, baptisms and funerals but I also occasionally attend a normal mass to keep the peace. I don't cross myself because that seems to me to be hypocritical but I do light candles because...I like it. Don't ask me why!


I used to be where you're at but it's a good fifteen years since I attended a mass to keep someone happy. When I did, I went through the motions of crossing myself and kissing the icon. It didn't feel hypocritical - to me it was just obeying convention and it didn't bother me at all.

I am more anti-religious these days. I ticked the third option though in fact I wouldn't go to a carole service and I would probably draw the line at an infant baptism. But I did go to the memorial service held for my best friend who died in a car accident (back in 1988) because the funeral was a small, private family affair. The memorial took the place of the funeral in fulfilling some need in me to say goodbye. I think I would do the same again.

I would probably attend the funeral/wedding of close family members and I'd happily sing a hymn (except that we don't have them in the Greek church).

I don't see lighting a candle as a religious act but a symbolic one and, when visiting a loved one's grave in Samos, I always used to pop into the tiny chapel and light a candle and would probably do so again, if I go back.

Titanium Wheels
Posts: 143
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 8:20 am

#9 Postby Titanium Wheels » July 21st, 2007, 7:50 pm

Due to singing, I have been to church lots of times just to sing in the choir. Our local Toun Kirk has a great organist/ choirmaster and I have often sung there under his direction. I gave up a couple of years ago as I could not stand the garbage talked by the minister.

I suppose I might go and sing somewhere like that again if pushed but I remain ceremonies only. Incidentally, my daughter's wedding was registry office so that was fine!
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband

Moonbeam
Posts: 617
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:44 pm

#10 Postby Moonbeam » July 21st, 2007, 7:53 pm

If I had any say at all, I wouldn't set foot in one. I just find church services so boring and often offensive.

User avatar
Miisanthrope
Posts: 24
Joined: July 19th, 2007, 7:33 pm

#11 Postby Miisanthrope » July 21st, 2007, 8:24 pm

Zoe wrote: By ceremony I mean wedding, funeral or baptism. A memoral service or a carol service doesn't involve a ceremony - I think they are just normal church services with a bit added on.

Ok, thanks, so second one then.

I had both my kids baptised (they were born before my more militant anti-religion phase and I was more concerned with going with the flow), but in both cases it was done in a residence, not a church.

User avatar
Goldie
Posts: 300
Joined: July 7th, 2007, 6:52 am

#12 Postby Goldie » July 21st, 2007, 9:16 pm

Moonbeam wrote:If I had any say at all, I wouldn't set foot in one. I just find church services so boring and often offensive.

I agree. But, I will go for weddings and funerals...because it's not really about the church or the religion...though, they are often invoked... It's about the people.... the union of people that you care about, or the loss of someone and their family and friends, that you care about.
To me...the church is just a building. I can put up with a little talk of God if it means being there for loved one.

But THAT is the only reason!

BTW: My husband brought up renewing our vows. I thought I read somewhere that one or more of you had a Humanist wedding service. Is that so? Can you hook me up with that? I'd like to know more. We are sure not going to do it in a church. We'd probably do it in the woods...with our own words. Just wondering what a Humanist Service would be like.
Thanks in advance! :grin:
I saw a wino eating grapes. I said,"Dude, you have to wait." Mitch Hedberg

Maria Mac
Site Admin
Posts: 8764
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:34 pm

#13 Postby Maria Mac » July 21st, 2007, 10:03 pm

Goldie wrote:
BTW: My husband brought up renewing our vows. I thought I read somewhere that one or more of you had a Humanist wedding service. Is that so? Can you hook me up with that? I'd like to know more. We are sure not going to do it in a church. We'd probably do it in the woods...with our own words. Just wondering what a Humanist Service would be like.
Thanks in advance! :grin:


Goldie, In the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, having the ceremony of your dreams is easier than anywhere else. Humanist weddings have legal status here in Scotland but Alan and I still chose to travel to the US for our wedding last year. Loathe as I am to link to the Other Place, the relevant thread is {removed link}.

I'm sure our celebrant did renewal of vows ceremonies every day of the week as well.

There's a bit about legal Humanist weddings here.
Last edited by Maria Mac on January 27th, 2008, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to remove link to topic that no longer exists

User avatar
verte
Posts: 153
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 9:23 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#14 Postby verte » July 22nd, 2007, 2:36 am

Zoe wrote:I'm making the assumption that non-believers will only go to church to make someone else happy and not because they themselves get anything out of it, but I could be wrong.


I like old churches, actually. I just think the buildings are pretty.

I attend church for the usual weddings, baptisms and funerals but I also occasionally attend a normal mass to keep the peace. I don't cross myself because that seems to me to be hypocritical but I do light candles because...I like it - don't ask me why? I've noticed there's a lot of anti religious feeling among members here and I'm wondering how far strongly you feel about keeping religion out of your lives.

If you do attend a service, do you go through all the motions and sing hymns?


I don't mind going for weddings, funerals, any sort of ceremony. It's simply a social ritual for me. And I've been to the odd carol service, because I like the music. I doubt I'd go to a regular service unless it was a rare indulgence for someone I was very fond of (I've done far stupider things for people I cared about). Though I would expect to be suitably compensated with some sort of pastry afterward.

User avatar
Goldie
Posts: 300
Joined: July 7th, 2007, 6:52 am

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#15 Postby Goldie » July 22nd, 2007, 7:39 am

verte wrote:
Zoe wrote:I'm making the assumption that non-believers will only go to church to make someone else happy and not because they themselves get anything out of it, but I could be wrong.


I like old churches, actually. I just think the buildings are pretty.

I attend church for the usual weddings, baptisms and funerals but I also occasionally attend a normal mass to keep the peace. I don't cross myself because that seems to me to be hypocritical but I do light candles because...I like it - don't ask me why? I've noticed there's a lot of anti religious feeling among members here and I'm wondering how far strongly you feel about keeping religion out of your lives.

If you do attend a service, do you go through all the motions and sing hymns?


I don't mind going for weddings, funerals, any sort of ceremony. It's simply a social ritual for me. And I've been to the odd carol service, because I like the music. I doubt I'd go to a regular service unless it was a rare indulgence for someone I was very fond of (I've done far stupider things for people I cared about). Though I would expect to be suitably compensated with some sort of pastry afterward.

Pastry! Verte! only YOU! I love you! You KILL me, babe!
I saw a wino eating grapes. I said,"Dude, you have to wait." Mitch Hedberg

Jem
Posts: 973
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:37 pm

#16 Postby Jem » July 22nd, 2007, 10:35 am

Like Zoe, I wouldn't rule out attending a normal service to 'keep the peace'. I've accompanied my mother to church in the past where I've sung hymns and even recited the Lord's prayer. My mother has done and continues to do a lot for me and this seems a small thing to do for her. She knows I'm agnostic and doesn't try to insist I go.

para handy
Posts: 587
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:39 pm

#17 Postby para handy » July 22nd, 2007, 11:11 am

Strictly weddings and funerals only.

Titanium Wheels
Posts: 143
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 8:20 am

#18 Postby Titanium Wheels » July 22nd, 2007, 11:33 am

Maria,

I hadn't seen the pictures of your wedding before but it looks a lovely place. It looks much better than the church at which Iw as married; near Birminghma International Airport and with flashing lights of top for the pilots!

one thing though, don't you need witnesses there or does the celebrant count for all that?
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband

Maria Mac
Site Admin
Posts: 8764
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:34 pm

#19 Postby Maria Mac » July 22nd, 2007, 7:25 pm

Titanium Wheels wrote:
one thing though, don't you need witnesses there or does the celebrant count for all that?


There were five of us at the wedding in total: the two us, the celebrant, the wedding organiser and the photographer. If I remember correctly, only the wedding organiser's signature was needed as a witness. I certainly remember asking the celebrant about this aspect when we were corresponding by email arranging the wedding. I told her that we were bringing no guests and she told me that was no problem.

There were a few people on the beach we could've grabbed in an emergency.

:)

User avatar
Moose
Posts: 716
Joined: July 8th, 2007, 12:55 pm

#20 Postby Moose » July 22nd, 2007, 7:55 pm

Generally only ceremonies. If someone wanted me to go to a normal service with them I probably would though.. I have no especial aversion.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain
Time to die

EF


Return to “Social Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest