INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Henny Penny

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Message
Author
User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#921 Postby Tetenterre » May 4th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Thanks for that, because I was going down a "Iscariot - ...chariot" false trail. So, presumably we have Simon and Magus (but not Simon Magus)?

"We shall not cease from exploration..." :laughter:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6030
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#922 Postby animist » May 5th, 2017, 12:38 am

Tetenterre wrote:Thanks for that, because I was going down a "Iscariot - ...chariot" false trail. So, presumably we have Simon and Magus (but not Simon Magus)?

"We shall not cease from exploration..." :laughter:
why not SImon Magus? (the surname does not figure in the answer). So what was the sin of SImon Magus?

VINDICATOR
Posts: 317
Joined: December 22nd, 2016, 11:07 am

Re: Henny Penny

#923 Postby VINDICATOR » May 5th, 2017, 6:24 am

This is my first time on here. I'm not sure, but here it is:
Your Holiness is an idiot.
hen pen

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6030
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#924 Postby animist » May 5th, 2017, 9:22 am

VINDICATOR wrote:This is my first time on here. I'm not sure, but here it is:
Your Holiness is an idiot.
hen pen
Pope dope?

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#925 Postby Tetenterre » May 5th, 2017, 11:26 am

Hey, Vinnie, how about helping me get the
mingy way of dispensing indulgences over motoring offences
Hen Nikenny Pennikenny

one? :wink:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#926 Postby Tetenterre » May 5th, 2017, 11:29 am

animist wrote:why not SImon Magus? (the surname does not figure in the answer). So what was the sin of SImon Magus?
Is the repeated capitalisation of the "I" in SImon a clue or a typo?
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#927 Postby Tetenterre » May 5th, 2017, 11:41 am

Ah, I think I've got it:
Car Simony Parsimony ?
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#928 Postby Tetenterre » May 5th, 2017, 11:50 am

And, assuming that is correct, how about:

Sexy top-down logic:
Henniken penniken
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

VINDICATOR
Posts: 317
Joined: December 22nd, 2016, 11:07 am

Re: Henny Penny

#929 Postby VINDICATOR » May 5th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Right, Animist, "Pope Dope", The Pope is a dope!
Why is he a dope? because he doesn't know that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. He scolded Trump for wanting to build a wall but he forgot that the wall of the Vatican is second only to the Great Wall of China! They built it to protect the huge hord of Gold in the Vatican cellars!
I'm not clever enough to produce more than a single syllable "hen pen", when I think up another one I'll post it here!
:smile: :smile:

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6030
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#930 Postby animist » May 5th, 2017, 11:37 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:why not SImon Magus? (the surname does not figure in the answer). So what was the sin of SImon Magus?
Is the repeated capitalisation of the "I" in SImon a clue or a typo?
aha

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#931 Postby Tetenterre » May 6th, 2017, 1:41 am

VINDICATOR wrote:I'm not clever enough to produce more than a single syllable "hen pen", when I think up another one I'll post it here!
:smile: :smile:
General game-play (but always open to change if participants wish - or if someone has a brilliant idea that s/he fears s/he may forget) is we have one puzzle current, and whoever solves that poses the next one.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6030
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#932 Postby animist » May 6th, 2017, 10:10 am

Tetenterre wrote:
VINDICATOR wrote:I'm not clever enough to produce more than a single syllable "hen pen", when I think up another one I'll post it here!
:smile: :smile:
General game-play (but always open to change if participants wish - or if someone has a brilliant idea that s/he fears s/he may forget) is we have one puzzle current, and whoever solves that poses the next one.
actually I would like to change this pattern, partly because it does deter people from joining in with their own puzzles - as you know it took me over two years (of sleepless nights :wink:) to guess your last puzzle, TT. Vinnie, TT and I seem to have tended towards pretty obscure topics since the game began quite a few years ago, so unless TT objects, please do send in whatever you like :smile:. PS - I have started the game on Facebook, and got some interest!

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6030
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#933 Postby animist » May 6th, 2017, 10:14 am

Tetenterre wrote:And, assuming that is correct, how about:

Sexy top-down logic:
Henniken penniken
I can see that this will be another two-year job :laughter: unless you provide a lot more clues. I assume that the word "Reasoning" is not in the answer?

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#934 Postby Tetenterre » May 8th, 2017, 1:58 pm

animist wrote:I assume that the word "Reasoning" is not in the answer?
No, but you're not a million miles away: "top-down logic" is a description of a particular mode of reasoning - get that adjective, and the whole thing should fall into place.

so unless TT objects,
He doesn't. :D
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#935 Postby Tetenterre » May 12th, 2017, 10:49 am

animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:And, assuming that is correct, how about:

Sexy top-down logic:
Henniken penniken
I can see that this will be another two-year job :laughter: unless you provide a lot more clues. I assume that the word "Reasoning" is not in the answer?
OK, another clue: What's the alternative to inductive reasoning?
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6030
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#936 Postby animist » May 12th, 2017, 11:01 am

Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:And, assuming that is correct, how about:

Sexy top-down logic:
Henniken penniken
I can see that this will be another two-year job :laughter: unless you provide a lot more clues. I assume that the word "Reasoning" is not in the answer?
OK, another clue: "What's the alternative to inductive reasoning?
ah, instant enlightenment - I could not see any promising phrase corresponding to "topdown", but I do know the difference between inductive and deductive. So must be: deduction seduction.

Haven't got another one ready - how about you, Vinnie? Look back at the early puzzles in this thread and I am sure you'll think of a Hen, Henny, Henniken or whatever :smile:

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6030
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#937 Postby animist » May 12th, 2017, 2:03 pm

got a new one!

distinctly omnivorous dish which consists of a flowering wild plant, usually regarded as a weed and usually in fact poisonous though used medicinally, and a hot animal leg joint cooked in hot oil

Hen Nik Ken Penniken

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#938 Postby Tetenterre » May 12th, 2017, 3:46 pm

animist wrote: deduction seduction.
Seductive deductive, but who cares that "sexy" was an adjective :laughter:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
Tetenterre
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 13th, 2011, 11:36 am

Re: Henny Penny

#939 Postby Tetenterre » May 12th, 2017, 4:03 pm

animist wrote:distinctly omnivorous dish which consists of a flowering wild plant, usually regarded as a weed and usually in fact poisonous though used medicinally, and a hot animal leg joint cooked in hot oil

Hen Nik Ken Penniken
Is the leg joint a hock?
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6030
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#940 Postby animist » May 14th, 2017, 9:15 am

Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:distinctly omnivorous dish which consists of a flowering wild plant, usually regarded as a weed and usually in fact poisonous though used medicinally, and a hot animal leg joint cooked in hot oil

Hen Nik Ken Penniken
Is the leg joint a hock?

no, it's not a recognised cut of meat at all - just a joint in the biological sense

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6030
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Henny Penny

#941 Postby animist » May 15th, 2017, 8:47 am

animist wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:
animist wrote:distinctly omnivorous dish which consists of a flowering wild plant, usually regarded as a weed and usually in fact poisonous though used medicinally, and a hot animal leg joint cooked in hot oil

Hen Nik Ken Penniken
Is the leg joint a hock?

no, it's not a recognised cut of meat at all - just a joint in the biological sense
not much of a help, but the clue should probably be: Hen-Nik-Ken Penniken. What do you call cooking in oil? On the vegetable aspect, the plant, though apparently poisonous, has been used as girl's name which, apart from the letter "y" at the end, sounds like a boy's name, which itself featured in the title of a Monty Python film


Return to “Club Soda”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest