INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Road Signs

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
lewist

Road Signs

#1 Postby lewist » February 25th, 2009, 10:18 pm

This is about those signs they use on the roads to give messages about an accident or other problem ahead. Most of the time they give boringly earnest messages like

Don't Drink and Drive
or
Remember - Mirrors, signal, manoeuvre
or
Check your fuel
or
Watch your speed

I don't mind the messages. They are laudable tips for road safety or good driving. But couldn't we have a little humour sometimes, or something more interesting? The only one that is remotely amusing is
Frustration causes accidents
... think about it. It still makes me smile.

I was once driving on the freeway in Maine and one of the signs had 40th birthday greetings for one of the maintenance crew. You don't see that kind of thing here.

There can be witty ripostes to the earnest messages like the one my children came up with which was:
Don't Drink and Drive - Smoke Hash and Fly!

So how many humorous messages or witty ripostes can we make for the motorist?
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

kbell

Re: Road Signs

#2 Postby kbell » February 26th, 2009, 7:55 am

Slow down

You move too fast, you've got to make the morning last - yeah!
Kathryn

Nick

#3 Postby Nick » February 26th, 2009, 9:47 am

Years ago in Leeds I saw the anarchy symbol (A in a circle) created from the road sign "Give wAy"

There was also graffitti which read "Be reasonable- Demand the Impossible" :D

I also remember Michael Flanders questioning the worth of "Low Flying Aircraft", saying "What can you possibly do about that? Except, perhaps, take your hat off...."

And is anyone else bugged by the fact that the wheel marks shown on the "slippery road" sign are impossible for a car to make?

jaywhat

#4 Postby jaywhat » February 26th, 2009, 10:06 am

Slippery sign is poetic licence, Nick - you don't just need one for driving :hilarity:

In my early days in Yorkshire there were signs which read:
STOP WHILE LIGHTS SHOW RED

for example at unmanned level crossings or road works.

Sadly 'while' in Yorkshire (and elsewhere) means 'until' and the signs now all read 'WHEN'.

Nick

#5 Postby Nick » February 26th, 2009, 10:57 am

Allegedly, on the border from Yorkshire to Lancashire, just after a sharp bend, there's a sign which says "Eeee! That were a sharp bend!"

Ken H

#6 Postby Ken H » February 26th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Hacked road signs:
COLLINSVILLE, Ill. – Hackers are messing with electronic road signs in some states, warning of zombies and raptors down the road. Traffic safety officials aren't amused. The latest breach came during Tuesday morning's rush hour near Collinsville, Ill., east of St. Louis. That's where hackers changed a sign along southbound Interstate 255 to read, "DAILY LANE CLOSURES DUE TO ZOMBIES."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/highway_signs_zombies
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' - Isaac Asimov

Alan C.

#7 Postby Alan C. » February 26th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Nick wrote:Allegedly, on the border from Yorkshire to Lancashire, just after a sharp bend, there's a sign which says "Eeee Bah gum! That were a sharp bend!"

The original made me laugh out loud, but I've edited it for grammar :laughter:

E-mail error ends up on road sign

The English is clear enough to lorry drivers - but the Welsh reads "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated."

Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

lewist

#8 Postby lewist » March 5th, 2009, 8:28 am

Yesterday morning I was driving down the A9 to Kingussie through torrential snow. The sign said
SNOW FORECAST
DRIVE WITH CAUTION

Ninny

#9 Postby Ninny » March 5th, 2009, 9:47 am

In Australia they have notices on slipways for people who don't know which way to turn: WRONG WAY!

Nick

#10 Postby Nick » March 6th, 2009, 8:27 am

When I was travelling through the outback some years ago, I saw a sign which read: "Trespassers will be shot"

I decided not to trespass.

Just in case.

Alan H

#11 Postby Alan H » March 11th, 2009, 1:20 am

I wondered if Alan's Welsh road sign was, in fact, an out-of-office reply. I found a Welsh to English translator and it gave (assuming I typed it in correctly!):
Bit I am being crookedly the office at this time. You send any time I w translate.
Close! :laughter:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Fia

#12 Postby Fia » March 19th, 2009, 8:36 pm

We have 2 road signs near us, at each end of the around mile long road, reading "Raebush". There is nothing along the road, not even a bush that might have once been called Rae.

I'm rather hoping this is our very own Brigadoon, and am keeping my special single malt and dancing shoes in the car just in case :)

Gottard

#13 Postby Gottard » March 20th, 2009, 3:30 pm

A cableway linking Como to Brunate (from 250 mt. up to 900):
a cabin sign in English "to the benefit of tourists" reads:
"the cabin goes up and down at the same time"; phew, what a headache :puzzled:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Nick

#14 Postby Nick » March 20th, 2009, 3:52 pm

I've just remembered a sign I saw on a gate in Greece (or one of the islands) warning of canine dangers. However, it seems the advice was somewhat late, as it read

Be Careful Inside Dog

lewist

#15 Postby lewist » March 22nd, 2009, 9:34 am

As chair of our residents' association I find myself dealing with all sorts of things. Parents on the estate have suggested we should have a

SLOW CHILDREN

sign at the entrance to the estate. I think they'd rather it were worded differently.

Alan C.

#16 Postby Alan C. » March 25th, 2009, 6:19 pm

Public information sign :smile:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Return to “Club Soda”