INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

How can we protect everyone's human rights equally?

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Compassionist

How can we protect everyone's human rights equally?

#1 Postby Compassionist » January 5th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Right now, there are many countries where apostasy and blasphemy are illegal and even punishable by death. How can we protect everyone's human rights while respecting different religions and cultures? Would it be better for everyone if the whole Earth was one country with one set of laws for all?

Nick

Re: How can we protect everyone's human rights equally?

#2 Postby Nick » January 5th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Hi Compo! :)

The answer to your last question is no, definitely not!

I also have trouble with the idea that there is some sort of definitive list and description of "human rights". Just about every one seems to be excepted in certain circumstances. and unachieved in too many others. I also have my doubts about how far we should respect religions and cultures. In both, there are some which repress women, for example, and permit, encourage, or even mandate certain things which you or I would find totally objectionable.

However, I want to be a little more positive than that, so my suggestion is this: that we strive towards free trade with everyone, and avoid boycotting countries or regime, even those we dislike for varying reasons. ISTM that repression grows as trade (which goes together with contact with the outside world) is restricted. That way, we see the spread of cultures which, in general, I think we agree are closer to the world we might like to see.

animist

#3 Postby animist » January 5th, 2018, 7:24 pm

your last question, Compo: answer is yes it would be better if there were just one country and set of laws, but only if these were the right ones! :D I would agree a good way on Nick over this. Sanctions over human rights and FTM animal welfare abuses might work in principle, but usually they don't - seems to be a matter of case by case, so that China (a nasty country in lots of ways) is not likely to be affected by sanctions; Russia has not been so, and even little North Korea does not seem to be so. Cannot think of many countries which have been affected by sanctions in fact; maybe apartheid South Africa was one, and maybe there are others. But even so we have to make life at least a bit uncomfortable for nasty countries, and bodies like Amnesty International (and more recent groups like Avaaz) are doing their best over this patient and constant pressure

Compassionist

#4 Postby Compassionist » January 5th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Thank you Nick and animist for your replies. I agree that some religions and cultures breach human rights and I think protecting human rights should be prioritised over respecting religions and cultures. After all, people (and other sentient beings) suffer and die. Ideas don't need protection because they are not alive and they do not suffer. I also think that having 195 countries on a planet is hugely wasteful in terms of time, money and resources. I would love to see a United Humanity on Earth and other planets and solar systems.

Nick

#5 Postby Nick » January 6th, 2018, 2:05 am

animist wrote:your last question, Compo: answer is yes it would be better if there were just one country and set of laws, but only if these were the right ones! :D
So the answer is no, then :wink:

I would agree a good way on Nick over this.
Most disturbing! Should have tried an analogy :laughter: Jus' kiddin' :wink: I'm pleased, really!

Sanctions over human rights and FTM animal welfare abuses might work in principle, but usually they don't - seems to be a matter of case by case, so that China (a nasty country in lots of ways) is not likely to be affected by sanctions; Russia has not been so, and even little North Korea does not seem to be so. Cannot think of many countries which have been affected by sanctions in fact; maybe apartheid South Africa was one, and maybe there are others.
Hmmm... I can understand why you might take South Africa as a "successful" case, maybe especially its ostracision in sport. OTOH, (besides being a matter of debate how much worse it is than subjugating women, or gulags or whatever) perhaps with less isolation, the economy would be more developed by now, the black population might now be better educated, more employed and less likely to fall for Zuma and his ilk. South Africa is in danger of sliding backwards, making the fait of the poor worse.

But even so we have to make life at least a bit uncomfortable for nasty countries, and bodies like Amnesty International (and more recent groups like Avaaz) are doing their best over this patient and constant pressure
Avaaz?! Aaaaargh! Just a menace! Amnesty International an altogether better organisation.

Compassionist

#6 Postby Compassionist » January 10th, 2018, 9:55 pm

animist wrote:your last question, Compo: answer is yes it would be better if there were just one country and set of laws, but only if these were the right ones! :D I would agree a good way on Nick over this. Sanctions over human rights and FTM animal welfare abuses might work in principle, but usually they don't - seems to be a matter of case by case, so that China (a nasty country in lots of ways) is not likely to be affected by sanctions; Russia has not been so, and even little North Korea does not seem to be so. Cannot think of many countries which have been affected by sanctions in fact; maybe apartheid South Africa was one, and maybe there are others. But even so we have to make life at least a bit uncomfortable for nasty countries, and bodies like Amnesty International (and more recent groups like Avaaz) are doing their best over this patient and constant pressure

Which set of laws are the right ones? How would we decide this? Who would decide this?

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussions...”