INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

God was a Jew and other jokes

Enter here for humour and irreverence.
VINDICATOR

Re: God was a Jew and other jokes

#281 Postby VINDICATOR » February 10th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Dear Compassionist,
We seem to agree most of the time. Yes, I agree that there are two types of religion. There is the "friendly" type, such as MODERN Christianity, which does more good than bad. I put modern in capitals to accent it, because 4 Centuries ago the Church was even more evil than Hitler! The Christian Church does a lot of charity work today. I know because I actually took part in some of the activities of the Salvation Army. However, the greatestest thing that the Church ever did was to colonize the American continent. If they had allowed Islam to colonize the New World, then the whole western hemisphere would be a shit-hole like the MIddle East and North Africa are today! Christianity evolved from the evil monster of the Inquisition to the friendly religion compatible with secularism that we see today. Most religions today are compatible with secularism. However, there is one "religion" that will never be compatible, ie. Islam! The problem with Islam is that it is a political system masquerading as a religion. They aren't contented to just control your after-life, they want to establish a world wide Kalifate to rule the World by Shariah Law today! A true Muslim cannot be assimilated into a secular society because he must obey Shariah Law which is in contradiction to almost all the laws of a secular state! Have you ever studied Shariah Law? Get a copy of the original, not a taqiyya (diluted) version used to fool Infidels!

Compassionist

#282 Postby Compassionist » February 10th, 2018, 9:25 pm

VINDICATOR wrote:Dear Compassionist,
We seem to agree most of the time. Yes, I agree that there are two types of religion. There is the "friendly" type, such as MODERN Christianity, which does more good than bad. I put modern in capitals to accent it, because 4 Centuries ago the Church was even more evil than Hitler! The Christian Church does a lot of charity work today. I know because I actually took part in some of the activities of the Salvation Army. However, the greatestest thing that the Church ever did was to colonize the American continent. If they had allowed Islam to colonize the New World, then the whole western hemisphere would be a shit-hole like the MIddle East and North Africa are today! Christianity evolved from the evil monster of the Inquisition to the friendly religion compatible with secularism that we see today. Most religions today are compatible with secularism. However, there is one "religion" that will never be compatible, ie. Islam! The problem with Islam is that it is a political system masquerading as a religion. They aren't contented to just control your after-life, they want to establish a world wide Kalifate to rule the World by Shariah Law today! A true Muslim cannot be assimilated into a secular society because he must obey Shariah Law which is in contradiction to almost all the laws of a secular state! Have you ever studied Shariah Law? Get a copy of the original, not a taqiyya (diluted) version used to fool Infidels!

I am an ex-Muslim ex-Christian Humanist. I have not read all of the Shariah Laws, only some of them. I think everyone's Human Rights should be respected by everyone, regardless of religious laws. The fact is that both the Quran and the Bible have nice verses and nasty verses. Please see: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/good/long.html and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html Also: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/good/long.html and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran ... /long.html I find it much harder to be a Humanist, than being a Muslim or being a Christian. If one is a Muslim or a Christian one has the comfort of believing that she or he is going to Heaven after death but if one is a Humanist one has no such comfort. Despite this, I chose to become a Humanist because I am convinced that the Quran and the Bible are not of divine origin but of human origin. Since humans are flawed, human religions are flawed. Yes, Islam is not just a religion, it has political and social aspects. While there are nasty Muslims who kill people, there are also nice Muslims who save people's lives. I know many nice Muslims, nice Christians and nice Humanists. I don't have a problem with people having any religion as long as they are respecting everyone's Human Rights. I am all too aware of Islamist terrorists killing people. My best friend was killed by an Islamist terrorist. During European Colonisation of the rest of the world, Christians killed and oppressed millions of people. During Arab expansion, the Muslims killed and oppressed millions of people. The reason Christianity and Islam are the number 1 and 2 religions on Earth is because of how ruthless both were. Sadly, even in 2018, people are still killing people in the name of religions, in the name of politics, in the name of greed, the list goes on. We are such a violent and unethical species that I am ashamed that I am a human. I would have preferred it if I were never conceived into a world of such horrors, such suffering, such injustice. I wish I could go back in time and prevent all suffering and injustice. I wish I could make everyone equally omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent. I wish everyone would learn to live and help live, to live and love.

VINDICATOR

#283 Postby VINDICATOR » February 11th, 2018, 5:21 am

Dear Compassionist,
Well, you certainly have had a very interesting and diversified life! To be a Muslim, then a Christian, now a Buddhist (of sorts). You are more qualified than me! I was brought up a Christian, but when I grew up, I discarded it along with Santa Claus! I am now essentially an Agnostic, but am still open to anyone to try and convince me. I am slightly leaning towards Einstein's Pantheistic God.
I tried to stress the fact that the Christian Church was utterly evil 4 Centuries ago, worse than Islam, even worse than Hitler! But the Church evolved! It is quite friendly today. Some people point to the KKK to "prove" how bad it is. However, the ISIS kills more people in one week than the KKK killed in a Century! A new born Muslim is no different from a new born Christian or Buddhist, It's the religion that creates the difference. How many Centuries do you think it will take for Islam to evolve into a "friendly" religion that doesn't spawn evil Cults like ISIS, Boko Haram, Taliban, AlQuaeda, etc.?

Compassionist

#284 Postby Compassionist » February 11th, 2018, 7:31 am

Well, you certainly have had a very interesting and diversified life! To be a Muslim, then a Christian, now a Buddhist (of sorts). You are more qualified than me! I was brought up a Christian, but when I grew up, I discarded it along with Santa Claus! I am now essentially an Agnostic, but am still open to anyone to try and convince me. I am slightly leaning towards Einstein's Pantheistic God.
I tried to stress the fact that the Christian Church was utterly evil 4 Centuries ago, worse than Islam, even worse than Hitler! But the Church evolved! It is quite friendly today. Some people point to the KKK to "prove" how bad it is. However, the ISIS kills more people in one week than the KKK killed in a Century! A new born Muslim is no different from a new born Christian or Buddhist, It's the religion that creates the difference. How many Centuries do you think it will take for Islam to evolve into a "friendly" religion that doesn't spawn evil Cults like ISIS, Boko Haram, Taliban, AlQuaeda, etc.?

Although I studied Buddhism and attended Buddhist meditation sessions, I never became a Buddhist. That's because Buddha never taught reincarnation even though most Buddhists now believe in reincarnation. I became a Humanist then missed Christianity and returned to Christianity then missed Humanism and returned to Humanism. Yes, religion has a huge impact in shaping the values of human beings. Religious delusions can be very dangerous. I don't know when Islam will become more benign like Christianity. As I said in my last post, both the Quran and the Bible have both nice verses and nasty verses. In fact, the Bible has 842 nasty verses and the Quran has 333 nasty verses: http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/c ... quran.html While a few Muslims are terrorists, the vast majority of Muslims are not terrorists. Here is an infogram about the leading causes of death in perspective: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/healt ... 47386.html

VINDICATOR

#285 Postby VINDICATOR » February 11th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Dear Compassionist,
You hit the nail right on the head! The great majority of Theists worship a God (any God will do) because they are afraid of dying and going to Hell. The great scientist Blaise Pascal was very intelligent and realized that God was a myth. However, the fear of Hell-fire had been hard-wired into his ROM and he couldn't overcome this fear, so he went to Church and worshipped God anyway just to be safe! I call it "Buying fire insurance"! Look up "Pascal's Wager" on the net.
You're right, the Bible is just as bloody and evil as the Quran. However, Christianity is much more lax than Islam. Chrstians don't read the Bible except for a few iconic verses like "The Lord is my Shepherd" etc. On the contrary, Muslims not only have to read the Quran all the way through, they have to recite it 5 times a day. The first thing Muslims learn at school is how to recite the Quran! So, although there is just as much evil in the Bible, there is less hard-wired into the child's Rom (Read Only Memory).

Compassionist

#286 Postby Compassionist » February 11th, 2018, 3:32 pm

You hit the nail right on the head! The great majority of Theists worship a God (any God will do) because they are afraid of dying and going to Hell. The great scientist Blaise Pascal was very intelligent and realized that God was a myth. However, the fear of Hell-fire had been hard-wired into his ROM and he couldn't overcome this fear, so he went to Church and worshipped God anyway just to be safe! I call it "Buying fire insurance"! Look up "Pascal's Wager" on the net.
You're right, the Bible is just as bloody and evil as the Quran. However, Christianity is much more lax than Islam. Chrstians don't read the Bible except for a few iconic verses like "The Lord is my Shepherd" etc. On the contrary, Muslims not only have to read the Quran all the way through, they have to recite it 5 times a day. The first thing Muslims learn at school is how to recite the Quran! So, although there is just as much evil in the Bible, there is less hard-wired into the child's Rom (Read Only Memory).

Yes, religious brainwashing begins at birth. Most people never have the courage to leave the religion they were brought up in. Yes, most Christians don't read the whole Bible. I have met many Christians who have never read the whole Bible. They read only cherry picked verses which suit them. If I had read the whole Bible, I would not have become a Christian. It was after reading the whole Bible that I left Christianity. Under Islamic law leaving Islam is punishable by death. So, even less people leave Islam. They not only have to overcome the fear of going to hell, they also have to overcome the fear of being killed and the fear of social discrimination. It took me six years of doubting and questioning to muster the courage to leave Islam in August 2002. Yes, Muslims have to pray five times a day and the prayer is highly ritualised i.e. there are physical movements such as putting one's face to the ground and a certain amount of verses from the Quran have to be recited from memory. Fasting during the Ramadan is even harder because one is not allowed to eat or drink anything from before sunrise to after sunset. Muslims are taught that there is an angel on the right shoulder of every human who records all their good thoughts, good feelings, good perceptions, good actions and good omissions and there is another angel on the left shoulder of every human who records all their bad thoughts, bad feelings, bad perceptions, bad actions and bad omissions. Imagine how frightening that is! On Judgement Day, the weight of one's good thoughts, feelings, perceptions, actions and omissions must outweigh the bad thoughts, feelings, perceptions, actions and omissions. Otherwise, one will go to Hell instead of Heaven. According to Islam, if one has faith in Allah and his last prophet, one will be allowed to enter Heaven after receiving proportionate punishment in Hell if their bad thoughts, feelings, perceptions, actions and omissions were greater than their good thoughts, feelings, perceptions, actions and omissions. The Islamic Heaven is a place of endless pleasure and the Islamic Hell is a place of great suffering. Non-muslims are supposed to go to Hell even if their good deeds outweigh their bad deeds. Being a Muslim is much more difficult than being a Christian. Being an ex-Muslim ex-Christian Humanist is even more difficult. I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing by leaving Islam or by leaving Christianity. That's why I returned to Christianity briefly but I had too much cognitive dissonance between the nice verses and the nasty verses in the Bible. So, I became a Humanist again. I was thinking about your pantheistic God. How do you know that such a God exists? If a pantheistic God is real, why didn't this God prevent all suffering?

VINDICATOR

#287 Postby VINDICATOR » February 12th, 2018, 6:09 am

Dear Compassionist,
All the run-of-the-mill religions such as Christianity and Islam have a God who is "made in the image of (a male) man". He has all the defects of man such as jealous, narcissistic, selfish, cruel, stingy, greedy, petty, vindictive, pedophilic, untrustworthy, lying, deceitful, etc. He is usually modelled on a human king. He is sitting in a throne with hords of courtiers serving him. He keeps surveilance on all of his subjects (the whole human race) 24 hours a day on all they do, say, and think! He will use all this data to sentence them in their after-life to Heaven or Hell. The whole thing is really childish and like a fairy tale.

Einstein's Pantheistic God, on the other hand, would have none of these attributes. We could no more understand him/her/it than an ant could understand us! This God is not a magician. The Laws of Nature that he/she/it established are immutable and no one can do magic (miracles) like Aaron turning the Nile into a river of blood! This God leaves us to ourselves. There is no Heaven or Hell, only the universe, so there is no surveilance on us! The Laws of Nature is the Bible, and Einstein wrote a chapter of this Bible entitled "The Theory of Relativity".
If you are interested, you can find a lot more in Wikipedia at "Religious and Phiosophical Views of Albert Einstein".

Compassionist

#288 Postby Compassionist » February 12th, 2018, 9:47 am

All the run-of-the-mill religions such as Christianity and Islam have a God who is "made in the image of (a male) man". He has all the defects of man such as jealous, narcissistic, selfish, cruel, stingy, greedy, petty, vindictive, pedophilic, untrustworthy, lying, deceitful, etc. He is usually modelled on a human king. He is sitting in a throne with hords of courtiers serving him. He keeps surveilance on all of his subjects (the whole human race) 24 hours a day on all they do, say, and think! He will use all this data to sentence them in their after-life to Heaven or Hell. The whole thing is really childish and like a fairy tale.

Einstein's Pantheistic God, on the other hand, would have none of these attributes. We could no more understand him/her/it than an ant could understand us! This God is not a magician. The Laws of Nature that he/she/it established are immutable and no one can do magic (miracles) like Aaron turning the Nile into a river of blood! This God leaves us to ourselves. There is no Heaven or Hell, only the universe, so there is no surveilance on us! The Laws of Nature is the Bible, and Einstein wrote a chapter of this Bible entitled "The Theory of Relativity".
If you are interested, you can find a lot more in Wikipedia at "Religious and Phiosophical Views of Albert Einstein".

The Nice List and Naughty List of Santa is also similar to God's list of the Good and the Bad. I read the article you referred to. I am not convinced that the pantheistic God is real. Admittedly, we don't know a lot about the universe. 96% of the Observable Universe consists of Dark Energy and Dark Matter but we don't know anything about them except that they exist. We don't even know what caused the Big Bang. Many religious people believe God caused the Big Bang. When one is a Muslim or a Christian, ethics is doing what God wants you to do. When one is a Humanist, ethics is much more complex. First of all, it is impossible to know what is the best thing to do. Secondly, there is no consensus among all humans about what is right. My motto: "Live and help live, live and love," is my solution but not everyone shares my motto.

VINDICATOR

#289 Postby VINDICATOR » February 12th, 2018, 11:26 am

Dear Compassionist,
I don't believe in any God. However, if I was forced to believe in one, I would pick Einstein's, because it isn't silly like all the run-of-the-mill Gods! AS I said, I am willing to listen to anyone who wants to preach to me and if he can convince me then I will convert! When I first rejected Christianity, going to Hell did worry me a bit, but when I heard of the Pascal Wager, which made a fool of an otherwise respectful scientist, I didn't want to establish a "Wager Club" and be the laughing stock of posterity!

"Where did the Big Bang come from?" This is the Trump card of the Theists! However, they create a bigger problem when they say God did it, because that creates the problem of who created God? They will counter this problem by saying that God existed before the universe and always existed. That is not possible because there is no time or space outside of the universe. So the statement "Before the universe" or "outside of the universe" is meaningless!

Another thing that Theists think is a Trump card is the problem of morality. They say that morality is a monopoly of the Theists. They say that Atheists have no morals and go around murdering people just for the fun of it! They say that the Acme of morality is the Ten Commandments. Have you ever read them? The first few commandments commands you to worship God and only God. Otherwise you will go to Hell! Moreover, all your descendents go to Hell too, for at least 4 generations! Notice that God punishes people for something their ancestors did! That is the "morality" of God!There are no such man-made laws! The "Golden Rule" established by human beings, including Confucius who lived 5 Centuries before Jesus is a thousand times superior to the Ten Commandments! The code of laws of all the modern democracies is infinitly superior to anything you find in the Bible! Your motto is also superior to anything in the Bible!

Compassionist

#290 Postby Compassionist » February 12th, 2018, 12:29 pm

I don't believe in any God. However, if I was forced to believe in one, I would pick Einstein's, because it isn't silly like all the run-of-the-mill Gods! AS I said, I am willing to listen to anyone who wants to preach to me and if he can convince me then I will convert! When I first rejected Christianity, going to Hell did worry me a bit, but when I heard of the Pascal Wager, which made a fool of an otherwise respectful scientist, I didn't want to establish a "Wager Club" and be the laughing stock of posterity!

"Where did the Big Bang come from?" This is the Trump card of the Theists! However, they create a bigger problem when they say God did it, because that creates the problem of who created God? They will counter this problem by saying that God existed before the universe and always existed. That is not possible because there is no time or space outside of the universe. So the statement "Before the universe" or "outside of the universe" is meaningless!

Another thing that Theists think is a Trump card is the problem of morality. They say that morality is a monopoly of the Theists. They say that Atheists have no morals and go around murdering people just for the fun of it! They say that the Acme of morality is the Ten Commandments. Have you ever read them? The first few commandments commands you to worship God and only God. Otherwise you will go to Hell! Moreover, all your descendents go to Hell too, for at least 4 generations! Notice that God punishes people for something their ancestors did! That is the "morality" of God!There are no such man-made laws! The "Golden Rule" established by human beings, including Confucius who lived 5 Centuries before Jesus is a thousand times superior to the Ten Commandments! The code of laws of all the modern democracies is infinitly superior to anything you find in the Bible! Your motto is also superior to anything in the Bible!

I agree with what you said. Yes, I have read the Ten Commandments. I love this quote by Gautama Buddha: “Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” I don't want people to blindly believe things. I want people to search for the truth and use reason and compassion.

Return to “Comedy Club”